Friday, October 7, 2011

!!! WARNING TO KAMLOOPSIANS !!!

I've always thought "that can't/won't happen to me or my family". 

Today it did.

Today my 12 year old son noticed a small, older, red pickup truck driving by his school as he was leaving. 

Today, about 10 minutes into his walk, my son had that same little red truck pull up beside him.

Today a driver wearing a hoodie and a blue baseball cap, leaned out his window and said "Little boy, do you want a ride home?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My kids are well versed in what to do in situations like this, as I have a social work degree and did work in the field for years before getting into photography full time.    I know the very real dangers and often talk to my kids about potential threats.  I also always make sure to not put names or faces to these potential dangers (or strangers), as it could be someone as innocent looking as a little old lady or St. Nick.

Today, Santa was the bad guy... at least that was the thought going through my head as my son's voice hastily explained to me what had happened and what this man looked like.  Old with a huge white beard like Santa.

As soon as he was home safe and sound, we called the police and filed a report.  When the officer showed up to take my son's statement, more details emerged as he remembered them.  Possible rust on the vehicle, a big metal toolbox in the back, the hoodie.

The officer was wonderful as he praised my shaken son for hurridly walking away and pulling out his cell phone where the man could see it.  Quite possibly, that was the reason why he wasn't further pursued.  He had a phone, and he wasn't going to hesitate even a second to use it!

Please, please, please, learn from this terrifying experience and share this information with everyone you can think of.  Make sure your children aren't walking to and from school alone.  Make sure they know what to do in a situation like this.

This is apparently not the first report that's been made of someone fitting this same description... AND HE HASN'T BEEN CAUGHT!!!

Be safe Kamoops, and hug your babies tight!

No comments:

Post a Comment